[Pdx-pm] App/Module review?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Dec 21 00:37:11 PST 2008

On Sunday 21 December 2008, Chad Granum wrote:
> The CPAN page for the module is up, now you can view it there as well in
> web format. Nicer on the eyes.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~exodist/PPBS/lib/PPBS.pm

A few comments:

1. Why doesn't the distribution have a version? The only thing that has a
version is the module which is versioned at 1.00.

2. Now why did you version it at 1.00 right away? That's not such a good idea
for open-source software:

http://catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/ar01s13.html

You should have started at 0.01 or something.

3. That put aside, I also dislike the fact that it's called "PPBS" rather
than "Build::PPBS" or "App::PPBS" or whatever.

4. The copyright paragraph for the module reads:

{{{{{{{{{{{
Copyright 2008 Chad Granum

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
}}}}}}}}}}}

That's not enough. You should say that it is licensed under the GPL and which
versions exactly.

5. You're exporting functions that start with an uppercase letter. The Perl
convention (and good practice) is for them to start with a lowercase letter.

6. The synopsis lacks a semi-colon after the sub { ... }

7.

{{{
File "MyFile, qw/ MyTask /, "touch MyFile";
}}}

You're missing a double-quotes.

That's what I could detect from skimming the documentation.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish