[Pdx-pm] Suggested Perl Best *Operating* Practices?

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Thu Aug 28 17:55:35 PDT 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:31:51 Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Or someone (with a bigger stack of tuits than I) could cleanup PAUSE,
> CPAN(PLUS).pm, Module::Build, configure, and the rest of the process to
> the point that you don't need a book full of knowledge about historical
> accidents and a system audit to install Perl and a couple of modules?
> "More than one way to do it" is like "A certain way to do it on Tuesday
> in Reno if it's raining (in Plano) and your name has an h in it".

Fixing a bunch of old and crufty hacks that aren't Perl is very much the Perl
way.  Fixing a bunch of slightly less old but no less crufty hacks which are
Perl is, sadly, not the Perl way.

Having failed to refactor File::Find for seven years or even patch broken code
out of the documentation of certain core modules,
-- c