[Pdx-pm] maintaining your own perl tree

Allison Randal allison at perl.org
Wed Aug 27 09:40:42 PDT 2008

Peter Scott wrote:
> At 01:18 AM 8/27/2008, Allison Randal wrote:
>> If you compile your perl in some custom location (/usr/local or
>> /opt/perl), and make sure it knows to respond to '#!/usr/bin/perl' on
>> the shebang line (it's a configuration option when compiling perl, the
>> shebang line doesn't have to match the path),
>
> What option is that?  I'm only familiar with the one that tells it to
> overwrite /usr/bin/perl in addition to building somewhere else.

I don't know the Configure flag, because I always use the interactive
configuration (I always compile perl for myself, because I never install
modules using CPAN.pm on a vendor install of perl, and vendor
distribution systems never have all the modules I need):

Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/opt/perl/5.8.8]

[...]

Do you want to install perl as /usr/bin/perl? [n]

[...]

I can use the #! construct to start perl on your system. This will
make startup of perl scripts faster, but may cause problems if you
want to share those scripts and perl is not in a standard place
(/opt/perl/5.8.8/bin/perl) on all your platforms. The alternative is to
force
a shell by starting the script with a single ':' character.

What shall I put after the #! to start up perl ("none" to not use #!)?
[/opt/perl/5.8.8/bin/perl]

(Which I always change to /usr/bin/perl.)

Allison