[Pdx-pm] maintaining your own perl tree

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:38:53 PDT 2008

# from chromatic
# on Tuesday 26 August 2008 11:33:

>> whether rebuilding their SRPM with the actual 5.8.8 source code
>> would really break anything.  Would you need to rebuild the binary
>> modules?
>
>The answer depends on the differences between the two Perl binaries.

Yes, but we're talking about what is *supposed* to be the same source
tree.

As I understand it, anything linked against the libperl.so would
continue working so long as they aren't calling some now-non-existent
function.  Am I understanding the shared object files correctly?

If so, wouldn't one of the RHerl patches have to remove a function for
this to cause breakage?

Yes some ifdefs would remove functions, but we were going to use the
SRPM, which should mean getting the same configure options, right?

--Eric
--
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a
desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.