[Pdx-pm] maintaining your own perl tree

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:41:00 PDT 2008

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Tuesday 26 August 2008 10:27:

>OK,
>for the complete Perl noob, how does one go about maintaining
>two versions of Perl on a machine, one for "system" and one
>for everything else including serving web pages?

You install the source tarball, then use it to install all of the CPAN
modules you need.  Then, make sure that your applications
have /usr/local/bin/perl on the shebang line.

I know you're "not supposed to" replace the vendor's perl, but I have to
wonder whether rebuilding their SRPM with the actual 5.8.8 source code
would really break anything.  Would you need to rebuild the binary
modules?

--Eric
--
Atavism  n:  The recurrence of any peculiarity or disease of an ancestor
in a subsequent generation, usually due to genetic recombination.