[Pdx-pm] red hat enterprise "perl" bug

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:17:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Eric Wilhelm
<scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Ask said it well:  "What is/was RedHat trying to fix with
> whatever patch to Perl 5.8.8 that introduced this problem?"

I saw a post by nicholas about the problem [1].  My impression is that
this problem was caused by a RedHat-specific patch that was carried
over into the 5.8.5 in RHEL 4 and the 5.8.8 in RHEL 5.  It sounds like
the problem was fixed completely in the official 5.8.7.  I am not sure
if the slowdown was introduced by the patch, or existed in early
versions of 5.8 and the partial patch broke the fixes in 5.8.8.  And
the real fix was not backported to the RHEL 3 5.8.5.  The RHEL 5 5.8.8
is Perl 5.8.8 but with 40 patches applied.

 - Ian

1: http://use.perl.org/~nicholas/journal/37274