[Pdx-pm] [meeting notes] What can we do about the low student SoC turn out?

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Fri Apr 11 11:05:51 PDT 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 10:44:56 jerry gay wrote:

> i don' think there's anybody on this list that will fail to respond to
> a message asking for clarification or elucidation... but you won't get
> any unless you ask for it!

There's the lurker paradox, though.  If you subscribe to a list of smart
people talking about smart things you don't necessarily understand, do you
really want to interrupt the conversation and ask for explanation of
everything you don't understand?  Even if there are a dozen lurkers for every
poster who want the same thing, you can't see any of the others, and you
don't know if you're the only person confused or wanting more information.

I don't know how to break that dilemma, but I've seen it many times, and I
suspect it's happened on this list often.

-- c