[Pdx-pm] I think the definition of failsafe is that things should do the safe thing if they fail

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Oct 18 10:57:36 PDT 2007

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Daniel Johnson
> # on Wednesday 17 October 2007 22:46:
>
>> Don't write code like in the link!
>>
>> http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/34680
>
> Yeah.  More importantly, don't run such code as root.
>
> Note Abigail's method of using a dedicated, unprivileged user to install
> code from CPAN.  Then the only files at risk are your perl tree.

That's troublesome because you then have to have different bin and man paths
and make sure PATH and MANPATH are all set up and oh god the burning.

You don't have to go that far.  CPAN.pm is perfectly capable of sudo'ing the
install phase.  Just do this:
http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=37249&op=&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=58370

The first-time configurator recommends that approach.
http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=37249&op=&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=58469

--
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best
served cold?  And it is very cold on the Internet!