[Pdx-pm] Why did this "force install" fix Kwiki?

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Sat Nov 10 23:33:30 PST 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 23:04:08 Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> The Util.so file is not listed in the error messages eructated by Kwiki
> that I posted earlier.  I'm glad you figured that out, but I am curious
> about how you did so.  How would I, a clueless Perl noob attempting to
> maintain Kwiki sites, figure out to look at that file without memorizing
> thousands of Perl-related factoids?

Ask someone who *has* memorized thousands of (sometimes painful) Perl-related
factoids.

Scalar::Util is fantastically useful when it works, but its simultaneous
XS/non-XS nature makes it problematic to upgrade when someone mucks with
include paths.

I suspect at least half of my CPAN distros will break when used with the
non-XS Scalar::Util.

-- c