[Pdx-pm] TWiki as substitute for kwiki?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:15:52 PDT 2007

# from Thomas J Keller
# on Tuesday 27 March 2007 01:36 pm:

>I had the impression Eric was wondering if there wasn't another
>approach to "staying connected" other than a wiki. He mentioned
>Combust, I think. (?)
>.. I like wikis myself, but many people find them to much of a
>nuisance to mess with, so I haven't gotten get as much input using
>them as I would like.

I'm in that other crowd.  I haven't found a single web app that I like
yet.  I like the idea of wiki, just hate using a browser as an editor.
(Hmm, the verbs inside those nouns might hold a clue as to why...)

Possibly kwiki with decent security and spam prevention and a RESTful
API would enable a thick-client mode.

But, then I wonder why we don't just use subversion.  (And, honestly, I
don't like to edit much of anything outside of vim.)  If the layout
engine could play nice with dotReader, a plugin might be able to serve
as a client-side preview tool.  That, or I could get over my desire to
preview and just write everything in unmarked text.

And, of course I would love to see *any* wiki *handle* conflict
resolution.  After a few preview+scroll+scroll+edit+scroll+preview
cycles, being told that someone else has changed the page since I
started and not having any straightforward way to cherry-pick the
changes is enough to make me just close the window and forget about it.

Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
predict the future is to invent it.
--Alan Kay