[Pdx-pm] Perl Voting Software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 12 14:00:30 PDT 2007

At a rancorous meeting last weekend, I was a "teller" for a
complicated vote.  We used a process called "Single Transferable
Vote" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Transferable_Vote  )
which was well suited for the decision to be made, and came up
with an excellent result, but horribly complicated to work out
with just a spreadsheet.

There is some software available - the Vote::STV Perl module from
http://ian.kluft.com/opensource/code/ for example - but perhaps
someone on this list knows of something better than that.  We will
be working from paper ballots, and want to leave an extensive paper
audit trail.  Ideas?