[Pdx-pm] kwiki, Mediawiki, PHP, and the Dark One

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:26:33 PST 2007

# from Michael G Schwern
# on Thursday 01 March 2007 05:42 pm:

>Its the thing that drives bloody Wikipedia used by
>bazillions of people every day with code audited by thousands.  Its
> probably the best wiki out there and easy to install,
>
>We hate it when folks immediately spit on Perl programs, its
> hypocritical to not run something because its PHP.  Saying you won't
> run an app because its written in language X is ignoring that code
> quality is more about the programmer than the program.

My reason to not use MediaWiki is not just "It's PHP", (even if I see
that as the root of the problem), it's not even just because I have
read the code either.  It's because I have gone to the trouble to
understand it well enough to modify a very simple behavior and found
some form of bad idea in the way at  _every_  _single_  _step_.  I'm
too polite to really do it justice in e-mail.

I don't like pulling hair, that's why I use Perl.

Maybe well-architected code is *possible* in PHP, but MediaWiki ain't
it.

--Eric
--
Speak softly and carry a big carrot.