[Pdx-pm] kwiki, Mediawiki, PHP, and the Dark One

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Mar 1 17:42:41 PST 2007

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> Wil Cooley wrote:

>>> Erhm, or OpenID.
>
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:33:52PM -0800, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_Features
>>
>> Mediawiki's got this all figured out.
>
> Hmm.  Mediawiki is my favorite wiki from the user viewpoint, but
> I use kwiki because I sorta understand it and the Perl it is
> written in.  I would use Mediawiki instead, but I worry about
> being a turning on the Apache module for PHP, a language I do
> not understand and have heard scare stories about.
>
> Judgement question, Oh nobler and wiser heads:  is it safe to
> turn on PHP and use it only for Mediawiki?  Or would I be
> dabbling in the dark arts, and selling my website to Satan?

OMG PHP AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  PANICC!!
*runs in circles*
*cuts heads off chickens*
*lights stuff on fire*
*buys lottery tickets*

Yes, its fine.  Its the thing that drives bloody Wikipedia used by
bazillions of people every day with code audited by thousands.  Its probably
the best wiki out there and easy to install,

We hate it when folks immediately spit on Perl programs, its hypocritical to
not run something because its PHP.  Saying you won't run an app because its
written in language X is ignoring that code quality is more about the
programmer than the program.