[Pdx-pm] kwiki, Mediawiki, PHP, and the Dark One

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 1 13:12:46 PST 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:33:52PM -0800, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_Features
>
> Mediawiki's got this all figured out.

Hmm.  Mediawiki is my favorite wiki from the user viewpoint, but
I use kwiki because I sorta understand it and the Perl it is
written in.  I would use Mediawiki instead, but I worry about
being a turning on the Apache module for PHP, a language I do
not understand and have heard scare stories about.

Judgement question, Oh nobler and wiser heads:  is it safe to
turn on PHP and use it only for Mediawiki?  Or would I be
dabbling in the dark arts, and selling my website to Satan?

Do friends let friends drive PHP?

Keith
(not a Real Programmer (tm), though I can fake it if you hum
the first notes)