[Pdx-pm] NCPAN - Not-so-Comprehensive Perl Archive

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sat Jul 7 23:02:17 PDT 2007

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> writes:

Eric> I would sure love to have some kind of time-saver.  I'm not sure
Eric> vetting is it.

One problem you will run into is this: there is no one definition of
"best".

Various criteria that may or may not apply to your current project:

 * self-contained vs. factored / many pre-reqs

 * interface: narrow or wide?

 * portability (*nix vs. win, also possibly 32bit v. 64bit)

 * pure perl vs. XS/SWIG bits?

 * effiency / shortcuts vs. expensive accuracy

 * old and established, or new and cutting-edge?

 * API stability?

 * interface: procedural, OOP, functional, more?

 * interface: explicit vs. implicit/magical

 * interface: framework vs. standalone tools

 * internationalization support?  available localizations?

 * ease of use vs. power?

 * license?

 * compatibility with older perl installs

 * support / living devel/user community

 * extensibility?

 * flexbility / esoteric features

Yes, there are obviously some here that are not true dichotomies;
there are also some that don't apply to every module.  The take-away
point is that there is no one right answer; any "more powerful search"
will have to accomodate at least the above factors, though, to be
useful.

Just something to think about,
t.