[Pdx-pm] NCPAN - Not-so-Comprehensive Perl Archive [was RE: CPAN release]

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sat Jul 7 13:49:09 PDT 2007

Bad metaphor or completely appropriate....???

Who wants to work with dead kittens?  Not me.  I don't even want to play
with them.

How do you (me, others) know which ones are playful, which ones are
dangerous, which ones are dead, and which ones are up for heavy lifting?!?

Personal attachment to your module aside, I'm not interested in the work it
takes to teach new tricks to dead pets.  I once had a job where I did have
to make the flea ridden piece of code jump through hoops, but that was only
because I spent way too much time coordinating the fleas to create an
illusion.  It's a nice hobby, but not a professional work habit.  I'd rather
work with live pets instead of the accumulated bugs.

More apropos to my (tangential) point, how do newcomers know whether
DateTime or Time::* or Date::* or TimeDate::* is more relevant to this
millennium? (See below.)

I guess the point I'm dancing around is vetting.  CPAN is a great laboratory
for creativity.  Some of that creativity rocks.  Some of it rots.   Is it
time to have a not-so-comprehensive Perl Archive???

Playfully, (but serious, too, for how else do we learn?)
Michael Wolf

P.S.  I think DateTime::* is more relevant, but only because I attended an
initial BOF at an OSCON a few years ago.  How do newcomers know?

P.P.S.  Personally, I think that Damian's PBP is worth its weight in gold if
only for his list of modules in the back.  I think the 255 nuggets are gold
(and silver and bronze), but I usually start a new project by looking at
Appendix D - Recommended Modules and Utilities.  I'll go with the
recommendations of the "Master Chef" - Recommended Core Modules, Recommended
CPAN Modules, and Utility Subroutines - instead of sorting through the "mass
of 'der chaff".

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!