[Pdx-pm] Recommendations for memory leak checking?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:03:07 PDT 2007

# from Michael G Schwern
# on Tuesday 03 July 2007 01:52 pm:

>> HARNESS_PERL_SWITCHES="-MDevel::Cover" make test
>> I would like to do the same to check for memory leaks.
>Test::Memory::Cycle can check individual objects and references for
> memory leaks.
>Otherwise there's Devel::Leak which I've never really had luck with.

I also see Devel::LeakTrace.

I haven't tried either of those, but it sounds like neither would really
give the sort of harnessed usage Kevin wants (which sounds like it
would be a good thing.)

Possibly something that just makes noise during global cleanup?  Here
I'm thinking mainly about lexicals (I believe any globals have to be
cleaned-up at the end and I guess their leakage doesn't matter anyway,

  BEGIN {do {"./t/this.t"}; }
  END { print STDERR ">>>THIS IS THE END<<<\n";}
    print STDERR "$_[0] is leaky\n";

Combine that basic scheme with several pages of the perl hacks book and
you'll get to be the presenter at the August meeting :-D

[...proprietary software is better than gpl because...] "There is value
in having somebody you can write checks to, and they fix bugs."
--Mike McNamara (president of a commercial software company)