[Pdx-pm] (off-topic) internal/external simple version control for Mac and Linux?

Chris Dawson xrdawson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:15:46 PST 2007

Hi there,

We are struggling to find a good version control system that can be operated
both internally and externally (meaning, for people working inside the
firewall and outside, at a coffee shop).  I want to use both GIT and SVN.  I
need something that works with both Mac and Linux.  I would prefer to have a
VPN type solution, but I need to make sure all clients support it.  I have
considered setting up a SOCKS proxy, but I am not sure whether this would
work with GIT and SVN clients on Mac, for example, or even Linux.  I have
considered setting up SVN and GIT over a WedDAV apache server, but I am not
sure if this works well (we've had trouble with Apache+SVN), and I probably
want this over SSL for extra protection.  Can people share the systems and
successes they have for this kind of situation that doesn't compromise
security for coffee shop flexibility?