[Pdx-pm] Apache, mod_perl, Catalyst, qx, and the ampersand

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Jan 8 15:11:11 PST 2007

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I'm starting here to get some ideas on whether I'm going anywhere near
> the right direction.
>
> We have a Catalyst based application but have been asked to some
> non-View processing while the user continues with other things.
>
> Short-ish story is we pull a XML file -- specified as a GET from a URL
> redirect.  Parse it and get a URI/URL of a large file.  The next step is
> to pull that file back but not make the user wait on it.  They should be
> able to continue with other parts of the process.
>
> I'm wondering if
>
> 	qx{ script_that_does_the_get_and_other_magic & };
>
> is the right way to go.  Other methods of backgrounding a process from
> within Apache/mod_perl.
>
> This clear as mud?

I thought I had picked an option based on the post by Nate Nuss but
going through the Catalyst thread.  I'm thinking a POE server will be
the best long term as well as providing a similar functionality for some
other processes.

Trouble is the example code from the POE site ( http://pow.perl.org )
doesn't work for a POST.

	http://poe.perl.org/?POE_Cookbook/CGI_Requests

Is what I want to use and it uses what I'm used to -- CGI.pm

The problem is I can't get it to use a POST.  I looks like the $request
object doesn't return anything "new CGI()" can use.  Since everything I
seen for far uses POST to send the key=value pairs I'm kind if in a
tough spot.  There is a RT ticket but it is from May 2005.

Any suggestions for how to resolve the POE::Component::Server::HTTP
issue with POSTs?

I'm going to dive into the code for awhile but I hoping someone might
have resolved this already.

Rod