[Pdx-pm] PDXfunc meeting: Mon., Dec. 10 - Functional concurrency with Haskell

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Thu Dec 6 14:16:02 PST 2007

[Sorry for the cross-post, I figured some Perl folks might enjoy this
upcoming presentation]

The next meeting of PDXfunc is coming soon. This user/study group
explores the world of functional programming and welcomes members with a
wide range of experience levels using many different languages. Our
previous meeting's summary is online and includes links for learning more
about
functional programming:
http://groups.google.com/group/pdxfunc/browse_thread/thread/a1c690cbdfd914f6/b3ee2009fd778a1a#b3ee2009fd778a1abb

Our next meeting:

Time and location:
Monday, December 10th, 7pm at CubeSpace, 622 SE Grand, Portland,
OR 97214. Directions: http://www.cubespacepdx.com/directions

Speaker
Don Stewart of Galois Inc. is the co-author of the upcoming book
_Real World Haskell_. He has written academic papers on a
variety of functional topics and published open source software
ranging from a tiling window manager to dynamic module
loaders. His home page includes links to his projects and
papers: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/

Topic
Functional concurrency with Haskell

Abstract:
The average laptop these days has two cores, many desktops have
four or eight, and future systems will have many more. How do we
structure programs to best utilise these resources, and what
kind of support can we expect from our programming languages?

In this talk and demo, Don will introduce various approaches to
concurrency and parallel programming in Haskell, including
low-level concurrency, shared memory abstractions, and parallel
strategies, and discuss how purely functional techniques can
help ease the pain of programming in the age of concurrency.

Please join us for the meeting and subscribe to the group's mailing
list at http://groups.google.com/group/pdxfunc