[Pdx-pm] [Mostly OT] DTrace on Linux

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Thu Aug 9 09:46:43 PDT 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 09:30:57 Kevin Scaldeferri wrote:

> Personally, while I'm neither a lawyer nor a kernel hacker, I'm
> puzzled by the argument that a CDDL user space and kernel module with
> GPL kernel modifications (which would be a reimplementation rather
> than a port regardless) isn't a viable solution.

It *probably* is, but then the question of patents comes up.  As it's not my
neck, I'm willing to believe Jonathan Schwartz and Simon Phipps when they
say "Our pledge to license these patents without royalty to anyone in the
DTrace community extends to anyone who uses the source code in an open
fashion, even if they reimplement parts of it under another OSI-approved
license is estoppel", but again--not my neck.

-- c