[Pdx-pm] Making web pages that display "working on your request"

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin at scaldeferri.com
Thu Aug 2 14:21:45 PDT 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Kevin> I'm not keen on this approach because the addition of the
> session id to
> Kevin> the url makes it unfriendly to bookmarking / emailing.  It's
> something
> Kevin> I've considered as a short term approach while working on
> something
> Kevin> better, but I don't think I'd use it in the long term.
>
> I don't understand that.  You don't want anyone bookmarking your
> interstitial!

Right.  It looks like your code example leaves the session id in the
URL.  So, once the whole thing is complete, if someone copies the URL
or bookmarks it, it includes that. Then when they return later, after
the cache expires, the program concludes "something is wrong" and
displays the form to them, rather than rerunning the query.

Unless I'm missing something about how this code works.

-kevin