[Pdx-pm] Live Parrot Sketch -- April 11th meeting 6:53pm tonight
Seven till Seven
scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:12:01 PDT 2007
Tonight. 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.
The Present and Phuture of Parrot:
- what is this thing and why are P-jokes funny?
- what does Parrot do and what will it someday become?
- a tour of the design and architecture in terms of features
- a tour of the source code so you have no excuse not to hack on it
- a tour of the Parrot Compiler Tools so you can help us write Perl 6
- a tour of Parrot's native PIR language
Parrot is a virtual machine designed to run Perl 6 as well as any other
dynamic language it can attract. Its bright, colorful plumage belies a
very serious intent: to be the best possible platform for language
invention and interoperability for the next twenty years--or more.
This talk explores Parrot from all of its interesting technical aspects:
the features it supports, what's where in the source code, how to use
it on its own merits, and how to use it to build your own dynamic
Some programming experience will be helpful, but you need know nothing
about Perl 6, Perl 5, or Parrot. The first two rows will get wet.
More information about the Pdx-pm-list