[Pdx-pm] Fwd: Apress User Group Newsletter--Early Fall Edition

The Dread Parrot scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:13:47 PDT 2006

Nothing about Perl this month?

----------  Forwarded Message:  ----------

Subject: Apress User Group Newsletter--Early Fall Edition
Date: Friday 20 October 2006 10:11 am
From: Janet Crosbie <janet at apress.com>
To: scratchcomputing at gmail.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apress User Group Newsletter
Issue 7; Fall, 2006

****PLEASE FORWARD OR POST THIS
NEWSLETTER FOR ALL GROUP MEMBERS****

****FEEL FREE TO EDIT THIS LETTER SO THAT IT FITS IN WITH YOUR USER
 GROUP FOCUS****

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sections:

1. Let's Catch Up
2. Apress "firstPress"
3. The friends of ED Flash Video Contest-"Video:FLV'ED"
4. The User Group Page Has Got What You Need
5. Don't Forget the Apress SuperIndex
6. The Latest betaBooks
7. Recent Apress and friends of ED Books--Hot Off the Press
8. Forthcoming Books--Early Winter Releases
9. Upcoming Tradeshows
10. It's Not Too Late to Join the Apress Affiliate Program

 Today has launched "Freeweb," and from now through December 2006, ASP
 Today will feature the two newest articles for free, so that each
 article will be free to view from time of publication until a newer
 free article publishes and converts the previous-but-one to
 subscriber-only viewing. Check it out today: http://asptoday.com/.

B. Updating User Group Information

Attention group leaders and office holders, just a quick reminder that
 if there have been any significant changes to group information,
 please take a moment to send me updates. This might include a change
 in group leader or president, a new e-mail or shipping address, or a
 change in book review policy. Please help me keep my records up to
 date. E-mail me at janet at apress.com.

***************************************

2. Apress "firstPress"

Apress welcomes its new firstPress series-technical briefs in PDF
 format about underexplored or emerging technologies that could prove
 critical in tomorrow's industry. firstPress documents are meant to
 help shape your direction as a developer and get you ahead of the game
 by giving you key information to budding topics as early as possible.

At around 50-150 pages, firstPress documents fall somewhere between the
 size of an article and a traditional Apress book. And these firstPress
 briefings are complete works--polished and ready for perusal as soon
 as you download them. Please continue to visit this page, as
 additional firstPress briefings emerge:
 http://www.apress.com/ecommerce/firstpress.html.

The inaugural firstPress document is

"LINQ for Visual C# 2005"
By Fabio Claudio Ferracchiati
November 2006 | ISBN: 1-59059-826-1 | 150 pages | $19.99

***************************************

3. The friends of ED Flash Video Contest-"Video:FLV'ED"

friends of ED (an Apress company) has been your Flash book resource
 since 2000. In celebration of the latest Flash title, "Foundation
 Flash 8 Video" (June 2006), friends of ED is hosting a contest to see
 what you can create by bringing video and Flash together.

Your task is to simultaneously promote friends of ED and/or its books
 and demonstrate what the Flash platform is capable of. The grand prize
 is an Apple MacBook!

You have until December 31, 2006, to submit your project. Please go
 here for more essential information about the contest:
 http://www.friendsofed.com/flved/.

***************************************

4. The User Group Page Has Got What You Need

I receive a lot of good questions from user group leaders and members.
 Some of these questions already have built-in answers available on our
 web site, and here are some of the most common:

Q: How do I and group members take advantage of the user group book
 discount?

A: All group members** of a registered Apress user group may receive a
 25% discount to any Apress or friends of ED title when the book is
 purchased through our distributor, Springer.

(Place your order with our distributor, Springer, by calling
 1-800-SPRINGER. Once you connect with a customer service
 representative, please mention the discount code, "APRESSUG" along
 with the name of your user group.)

** We apologize, but at this time, we are unable to honor this discount
 to user group members located outside of North and South America,
 Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Q: May I have an Apress logo to post on our group web site?