[Pdx-pm] Instance hash ( keyed array )

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Wed Oct 18 22:49:16 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:50:40PM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 21:07, Austin Schutz wrote:
>
> > If your code has enough comments
> > easier names are probably not necessary. However, the converse is that if
> > your variables are easier to discern you don't need as many comments.
>
> I'm not sure that's a converse, in the same way that "On the other hand, not
> eating razor blades *is* good for your health" isn't.

	Good variable naming and commenting are both important. If short
variable names are razor blades then lack of comments is broken glass. So.. I
agree with your statement, but laziness occurs, as a great deal of the code in
the perl core demonstrates.

	Something is better than nothing, and if you are too lazy to write
comments _and_ use reasonable variable names (and most people seem to be),
doing one is better than doing neither.

	The code I've inherited has a lot of eval $string; stuff with no
checks for $@. Maybe that would be eating lit firecrackers. Sure seems
like it sometimes.

	Austin