[Pdx-pm] Next Wed. WxPerl for Fun and Profit

Seven till Seven scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:01:19 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Here's the plan for next week's meeting.  If anyone would like to
contribute a mini presentation on the Alien suite, please contact me
off-list.

------------
October Meeting
  Wednesday Oct 11th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.

wxPerl for Fun and Profit

Eric Wilhelm will talk about how to get started with the Perl bindings
to the wxwidgets GUI toolkit. Eric has spent the last several months
designing and building a large (7.5kLOC and growing in 62 modules)
system complete with a comprehensive test suite, pluggable, reskinnable
architecture, network-transparent connectivity, blah, blah, blah (ok,
the blah part is done, but I'm still working on some of the other
bits.)

The presentation will cover:

  o Web3.0 -- 1000x more responsive than Web2.0
  o WxWidgets/WxPerl overview
  o how cross platform is it?
  o finding documentation
  o installation on Windows, Mac, and Linux
  o code generation with wxglade (or not)
  o creating a sane object-oriented architecture while using an
    event-driven toolkit
  o events, hotkeys, and callbacks with closures, methods, and accessors
  o testing

--Eric
--

        http://pdx.pm.org