[Pdx-pm] Vote Today, Meeting Tomorrow -- Crucible

Seven till Seven scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:20:50 PST 2006

Don't forget to vote.

And after saving the world, what better way to celebrate than with Perl,
special secret prize, and Beer?

Wednesday Nov 8th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.

                        Crucible
                        Crucible
                        Crucible
                        Crucible

                        Crucible
  "An Automatic Slicing, Dicing, and Rebooting Test Harness"
    with Bryce Harrington

Crucible is a test harness in use at OSDL which utilizes several Perl
modules, along with a mess of bash scripts, to provide a generalized
automated testing system.  They use Crucible for testing NFSv4, Linux
CPU and Memory hotplug, Inkscape, Cairo, and GeGL.  It coordinates
tests across a collection of different machines of different
architectures; it handles automated power cycling to test-boot new
kernels; it can reimage, capture console logs, etc.; it can coordinate
multi-client/server configurations; it slices; it dices; it'll even CUT
THROUGH A TIN CAN!1!!

Most of the Perl components have been uploaded to CPAN, including one
set of modules for editing/updating different kinds of bootloader
config files, called Linux::Bootloader, another module WWW::PkgFind for
downloading software packages from web or ftp sites, or from
cvs/git/svn, and another set of modules for parsing test output from
different kinds of test programs, called Test::Parser.  We've also
recently added a module, Test::Presenter, that employs an XML database
to recombobulate parsed test data into forms that Chart::Graph::Gnuplot
and similar modules can use for making pretty SVG graphs.

more info:  http://crucible.sourceforge.net/

As always, the meeting will be followed by beer at the Lucky Lab.  If
it's your second meeting, I buy you a beer.  December's special is "I
buy you a beer if your mother's maiden name starts with a Q", so don't
skip.  Also, I just got a new load of bling in the mail, which means we
have to have a contest to see who takes home the special secret prize.

--Eric
--

        http://pdx.pm.org