[Pdx-pm] Reminder: Next Wednesday -- Crucible

Seven till Seven scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 00:10:13 PST 2006

Wednesday Nov 8th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.

Really sneaks up on you this month.  Only one weeks from yesterday.

                        Crucible
                        Crucible
                        Crucible
                        Crucible

                        Crucible
  "An Automatic Slicing, Dicing, and Rebooting Test Harness"
    with Bryce Harrington

Crucible is a test harness in use at OSDL which utilizes several Perl
modules, along with a mess of bash scripts, to provide a generalized
automated testing system.  They use Crucible for testing NFSv4, Linux
CPU and Memory hotplug, Inkscape, Cairo, and GeGL.  It coordinates
tests across a collection of different machines of different
architectures; it handles automated power cycling to test-boot new
kernels; it can reimage, capture console logs, etc.; it can coordinate
multi-client/server configurations; it slices; it dices; it'll even CUT
THROUGH A TIN CAN!1!!

Most of the Perl components have been uploaded to CPAN, including one
set of modules for editing/updating different kinds of bootloader
config files, called Linux::Bootloader, another module WWW::PkgFind for
downloading software packages from web or ftp sites, or from
cvs/git/svn, and another set of modules for parsing test output from
different kinds of test programs, called Test::Parser.  We've also
recently added a module, Test::Presenter, that employs an XML database
to recombobulate parsed test data into forms that Chart::Graph::Gnuplot
and similar modules can use for making pretty SVG graphs.

more info:  http://crucible.sourceforge.net/

As always, the meeting will be followed by beer at the Lucky Lab.  If
it's your second meeting, I buy you a beer.  December's special is "I
buy you a beer if your mother's maiden name starts with a Q", so don't
skip.  Also, I just got a new load of bling in the mail, which means we
have to have a contest to see who takes home the special secret prize.

--Eric
--

        http://pdx.pm.org