[Pdx-pm] OT given/when in Perl5

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri May 19 21:57:09 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I got to thinking about how a switch syntax might be done in Perl5 with
a little prototype-based syntactic sugar.

  http://scratchcomputing.com/tmp/given_when.pl

(This is just a first hack to work out the semantics.)

I suppose it could have {} instead of [] if when() did something
inside-outish (plus sorting) to allow for the flattening of hash keys.

Is the square-bracket syntax too horrid?  If so, how do I do thread-safe
and otherwise-safe storage of the when() values?  Package variable hash
plus some thread-specific key?  UUID chosen by default()? (it gets
called first.)

Anyone seen this in Perl5 besides Damian's (source filter) Switch.pm?
(from which I fully intend to steal the "if()" and "$::_S_W_I_T_C_H ="
stuff.)

--Eric
--
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that
bother me, it's the parts that I do understand."