[Pdx-pm] March Meeting

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Wed Mar 1 11:21:55 PST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Hmm.  That's a little out of the scope that I had planned, but I
> suppose
> I could throw in a tour of perlguts et al as an overview of what's
> going on under the hood.
>
> If someone more versed in the deep voodoo wants to throw me a bone on
> how one might hook-in the regex engine via C, maybe I can work that in
> as well.
>
> This is either going to be mind-blowing or mind-blowingly boring :-)
> I'll try to get a synopsis out to the list soon.

I'd suggest a bit about "What's in a scalar?", that covers the IV/NV/
PV types and related macros, but leaves off well before that "magic"
stuff.  The OOK hack, which makes substr() fast, is pretty nifty, and
not so hard to understand.  I know when I was picking up the basics
of XS, I would have liked to have seen a presentation on that.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/