[Pdx-pm] anyone using IPTables::IPv4?

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Fri Jun 2 05:32:53 PDT 2006

Chris Dawson wrote:
> Is anyone on this list using the iptables interface for perl?  Or,
> anyone who prefers just shelling out to the iptables binary?  If you
> have preferences, I would like to hear them.

I am. I implemented it as a point of pride, "Real Men Don't Shell Out When
They Have a Module To Use," kind of thing.

Both can work, the iptables interface is arguably more trouble than it's worth
- for instance you need to go to the iptables API documentation to understand
how to do some things.  On my todo list is proving out a suspected memory leak in it.

You may recall my PLUG AT presentation from February, the iptables interface
was the thing that "didn't work".  After that talk I did complete (and correct,
and debug) the program I talked about that night.  The same program that had
been working in a shell-out-to-the-binary method for over a year.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity