[Pdx-pm] Apache, mod_perl, Catalyst, qx, and the ampersand

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Wed Dec 20 20:11:05 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:37:54PM -0800, Kris Bosland wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > ...the necessary voodoo to cleanly fork a child and cleanup the
> inevitable mess.
> Yes, forking a child is always messy.  And sometimes you get zombies.

	Just wait, no zombies! (yah, little unix humor)

	There are several IPC modules which make interacting with other
processes less work. If you aren't interested in a full framework I would
suggest investigating a couple (e.g. IPC::Open3, IPC::Run, Expect, etc.).
	Of course it still helps to have a base understanding of how
processes are spawned/reaped on your O/S.