[Pdx-pm] cpan and activestate??

a256 b200 a256b200 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 15:25:52 PST 2006

Hi Folks,

I have tried to figure this out on my own to no avail.

I use Activestate perl on win32-XP

I love ppm's, but they are not always available.

So, I would like to be able to install stuff from CPAN and I have been trying to use the cpan shell.

I get a problem with the cpan.bat and related programs not finding the program "cl"

Here is the error 'til <<END

        cl -c    -nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO
RICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DNO_HASH_SEED -DUSE_SITECUSTOMIZE -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CON
T -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1
 -DVERSION=\"2.12\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"2.12\"  "-IC:\Perl\lib\CORE"   Twofish.c

'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'

END

Someone's blog suggested looking at the docs on installing and compiling perl on win32 ... these docs said that I should download a c or c++ compiler

I tried mingw

But now, if this is the thing to do, I can not figure out how to tell the cpan shell to use the mingw (linker?). Actually, I don't know specifically what mingw program to use for/instead of cl either.

Please help with any suggestions.

Thanks!