[Pdx-pm] my "git" talk at PLUG advanced this upcoming monday

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Dec 15 18:07:53 PST 2006

>From http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.portland/14545:

    PLUG Advanced Topics meeting

    Date:  December 18th 2006
    Time:  7:00pm

    Location:   Jax Bar 826 SW 2nd Avenue Portland, Oregon

    Speaker:    Randal Schwartz

    Topic:

    When you have hundreds of people simultaneously patching 25000 files of
    the Linux Kernel in sometimes conflicting ways, you might need some scheme
    or plan to sort all that out before you can build your next kernel and
    reboot.  The Linux team uses "git" for their source code repository
    management, a homegrown solution that is optimized for highly distributed
    development, working with huge sets of files, merging independent work at
    multiple levels, and seeing who broke what. (Git has also since been
    notably adopted by the Cairo, x.org, and Wine teams, and is being
    transitioned to by the Mozilla codebase.) In my talk, I describe what
    "git" is and isn't, and why you should use it instead of CVS, Subversion,
    SVK, Arch, Darcs, Mercurial, Monotone, Bazaar, and just about every other
    repository manager.  I'll also walk though the basic concepts so that the
    manpages might start making sense. If I have time, I'll even do a live
    walkthrough, where you can watch how fast I make typos.

    Standard meeting rules apply.  Happy hour meal prices for the duration of
    the meeting.