[Pdx-pm] announcement: PDXPUG meeting next week (12/19/06)

Selena Deckelmann selena at chrisking.com
Thu Dec 14 08:04:00 PST 2006

A couple people asked about this last night...

Topics: 	Gabrielle's new database design; and EXPLAIN
Who:	Gabrielle Roth, XO communications; Selena Deckelmann, Chris King
Precision Components
When: 	Tuesday, December 19, 2006, 7pm
Where: 	FreeGeek, 1731 SE 10th Ave

Gabrielle has been working on a new database and will lead us through
the trials and tribulations of the application she developed and
maintains.  This recently involved a full schema-rewrite and you will
delight in learning the reasons why.

I have been reading up on EXPLAIN.  I think this talk will be mostly
of a whirlwind tour through what the planner does when executing a
query, drawn from the Performance chapter in the Douglas book. I will
focus on the practical implications for structuring some simple
queries and try to draw on a number of sources.

And if you're interested in subscribing to the PDXPUG mailing list:

Send mail to: majordomo at postgresql.org, with "sub pdxpug" in the BODY
of the message.

And if you like to be notified of upcoming meetings via blog, we have
one at: http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx/

You can get information on a couple talks that the amazing David
Wheeler has given (including "what's new in 8.2" back in October),
last month's benchmarking talk, and slides from August that give an
overview of setting up PostgreSQL on OS X.

thanks!
-selena