[Pdx-pm] Meeting Tomorrow -- SVK with Michael Schwern

Michael G Schwern schwern at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 15:16:20 PST 2006

Ovid wrote:
> --- Josh Heumann <perl-pm at joshheumann.com> wrote:
>
>> <quote who='Michael G Schwern' when='Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:53:53PM
>> -0800'>
>>> If you want to hear about anything else, reply with it here and
>> I'll try to wedge it in tonite.
>>
>> Can you use it as a dessert topping *and* a floor wax?  No?  Well,
>> can
>> you use it on a cvs repository?
>
> For those who've not heard the story (most, I would imagine), we
> recently had an "unofficial" relaxation of the dress code at my work.
> Programmers are now allowed to wear blue jeans.  One of the people from
> finance saw me wearing blue jeans and demanded to know why I was
> wearing them.
>
> Me:  "We're cleaning out the CVS repository today."
> Her:  "OK, that makes sense."
>
> :)

Yeah, that about sums things up.

In answer to Josh, yes you can use it on top of a CVS repository though I don't know if all features work.  Not for lack of trying on SVK's part, but because CVS is just too dumb.  Getting CVS mirrored into SVK seems the biggest issue.  Its all very hairy and something I don't know too much about.  I hope you don't mind if I decline to cover it tonite.  Instead, I give you this URL.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Using_SVK_With_Mozilla_CVS

Another option is to use VCP which does versioned copies between repositories plus SVN::Mirror and simply mirror the CVS repo into a Subversion repo and then let SVK talk to the SVN repo.
http://public.perforce.com/public/revml/index.html
http://search.cpan.org/dist/VCP-Dest-svk/
http://search.cpan.org/dist/SVN-Mirror/

Duct tape upon glue upon duct tape.