[Pdx-pm] May Meeting -- two weeks out

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:11:58 PDT 2006

In an attempt to test the hypothesis that meetings would be better
attended if announce more in advance...  (I'm trying the "more" bit.)

May 10th, 6:30pm at Free Geek, 1741 SE 10th Ave

Client/Boss Requirements War Stories

 Presenter: You

How do you cope with changing requirements and unrealistic schedules?
What (social and technical) techniques provide an abstraction layer
that business decision-makers use to drive a project? What is the right
amount of information-hiding?

As Morlocks, we are extremely valuable to the Eloi to the extent that we
solve the right problem on the right schedule. Sometimes, this means
defining the problem; sometimes the schedule. Users often do not know
what they want or may have trouble expressing it. This discussion is
about the translation process, the grief that it causes, and how to
make it more enjoyable for both sides.

This will be a round-table or panel discussion (depending on the number
of people willing to discuss.) If you don't feel comfortable
participating, you are welcome to sit in the corner and observe
(heckling optional.) Eloi are also welcome to come share their side of
these issues -- contact JoshHeumann for assistance.

Sob-stories and un-podcastable anecdotes will be covered over beer at
the LuckyLab.

See here for links:

Add yourself to the participants list so we'll know how big around (er,
asquare) to make the table.

As an old bass player friend of mine used to say: throw money, don't
--Tony Parisi