[Pdx-pm] Webmail solutions

Joe Oppegaard joe at radiojoe.org
Tue Oct 18 13:21:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 at 1:09pm -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Joe Oppegaard wrote:
>> I'm surprised you didn't come across openwebmail. [1] It is actively
>> developed, fairly popular, and quite nice. I've been running one install
>> of it for multiple domain names for a few years now at least and it has
>> always worked great.
>
> Actually I did but gave it a pass early on when mod_perl was ruled out.

Since I don't actually know what your requirements are for the setup
you're wanting to get going (as your initial message just specified an
webmail system in perl), I will just assume that you want to use
mod_perl strictly for performance and not any other reason.

So, if that is right and speed is what you're concerned about, you can
optionally use CGI::SpeedyCGI with openwebmail. I initially wasn't using
this on my install, but once I got it going I noticed a big difference.

>From the Openwebmail README:

"Openwebmail can get almost 5x to 10x speedup when running with
SpeedyCGI. You can get a quite reactive openwebmail systems on a very
old P133 machine :)"

-Joe Oppegaard