[Pdx-pm] Fwd: Genomics at OHSU

Jeff Zucker jeff at vpservices.com
Mon Nov 28 12:30:34 PST 2005

Thomas J Keller wrote:

> Hi All,
> This is probably cheating. Tough, defending Perl against this Python
> snob should get you riled up enough to burn up a few of those T-day
> calories. So help me out here. Any other good arguments for this in
> house discussion?

Perhaps you could point your in-house folks to my papers in the Journal
of Medical Informatics, ACM publications, and other professional
journals showing my use of Perl in major projects at Columbia
University, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and
Columbia-Presbyterian hospital in the early-mid 90s. We were using Perl
for medical curriculum and clinical systems that were all very large
projects. And that was all before CPAN was the mega-resource it is now
(we started with 4.019) so the possibilities for Perl in large projects
is even greater now.

I was the coordinator of Internet development and online curriculum at
Columbia University's Center for Academic Information Technology and
lead developer on all the projects listed below and therefore I know
first hand that Perl was the central IT tool in each of them. If it
would help for me to talk to some of your colleagues in person about
Perl in Medical Informatics, I'd be glad to.

Zucker, J., Chase, H., Molholt, P., Soliz, E., Kahn, R. M., Conceptual
Modeling Techniques for Online Curriculum Design. 1997 AMIA fall symposium.

Zucker, J., Chase, H., Molholt, P., Bean, C., Kahn, R.M., A
Comprehensive Strategy for Designing a Web‑Based Curriculum. IN
Proceedings of the 1996 AMIA Annual Fall Symposium. Hanley & Belfus,
Inc., 1996. pp. 41‑46.

Zucker, J., Kahn, R., and Molholt, P., An Electronic PDR Using Fielded
Searches in HTML. IN Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Symposium on
Computer Applications in Medical Care (SCAMC '95). McGraw‑Hill, 1995.
p.1012.

Kahn R.M., Molholt P. and Zucker J., CPMCnet: An Integrated Information
and Internet Resource. IN Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Symposium
on Computer Applications in Medical Care (SCAMC '94). McGraw‑Hill, 1994.
pp. 98‑102.

DuBois K., Zucker J. and Galashaw D., A computer Assisted Psychiatric
Nursing Review: Modeling Nursing/Computer Analyst Collarboration. IN
Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications
in Medical Care (SCAMC '94). McGraw‑Hill, 1994. p.1020.

Zucker J., Kahn R.M. and Natarajan N., Clinical, Scholarly and Campus
Information Hypertext Tools At Columbia‑Presbyterian Medical Center. IN
Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual Symposium on Computer Applications
in Medical Care (SCAMC '93). McGraw‑Hill, 1994. pp. 539‑548.

Zucker, Jeff, Kahn, Robert M., Natarajan, Narayanan, 'Health Sciences
Hypertexts at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center,' Proceedings of ACM
Hypertext'93 -- Demonstrations, 1993, pp. 15.

--
Jeff Zucker