[Pdx-pm] Poll: traits

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:54:09 PST 2005

# from Ovid
# on Friday 18 November 2005 12:56 pm:

    [X] Other _I'm still waiting for someone to explain them in less
than 100+ pages of text_.

Looks like he managed to get it out in 25 at some point (with the help
of a few others.)

  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/scgbib.cgi/abstract=yes?Scha03a

What I love about perl's oo is that we really don't need all of the
formalisms that appear in other languages.  What I hate about it is
that I don't understand the jargon that appears when people start
talking about languages with less casual OO constructs.

"A trait is essentially a group of pure methods that serves as a
building block for classes and is a primitive unit of code reuse."

So, can you spell that in Perl?  It sounds suspiciously like it's
nothing more than a module that allows you to import some methods into
your namespace.  Or is that a mixin?

--Eric
--
Peer's Law: The solution to the problem changes the problem.