[Pdx-pm] Poll: traits

Ovid publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 12:56:56 PST 2005

Hi folks,

I've posted an informal poll about "traits" in my use.perl journal
(http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/27644).  It would be nice if some
folks would be willing to discuss it over there, but for those who
prefer "on list" discussion:

Question:  why aren't you using traits?

    [ ] I don't understand traits.
    [ ] I've never heard of traits.
    [ ] I prefer multiple inheritance or mixins.
    [ ] Single inheritance is good enough for me.
    [ ] I don't know of a robust/good Perl implementation.
    [ ] Traits are bad, m'kay.
    [ ] Other _______________.

Would you be interested in learning more about traits or do you think
they're just another silly buzzword? If you are interested in traits,
what would it take to get you to start using them?

One thing I've noticed about traits is that most discussions of traits
seem to revolve around examples which don't really match up with what
people need in the real world. This, curiously, is the same problem
that many beginning OO examples have. As a result, people learn about
OO and often say "why bother?" I think the same problem affects traits
despite how useful they are.

Traits are explained in
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/PhD/schaerli-phd.pdf and in Perl 6
they are known as "roles".