[Pdx-pm] Python to Perl

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 17:22:00 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# raa at mailporter.net
# on Tuesday 17 May 2005 04:20 pm:

>I've done "some"
>research but can't find any reference to three double-quotes in a row.
>Probably something very python not regex.
>
>re.compile(r"""(?P<month>[A-z]{3,3})\s*(?P<day>\d+)""")

I don't think it's a regex issue.  I googled for
python+double-quote+interpolation and got this page:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-July/171918.html

>Any closet pythoners in the crowd?  Anyone else done the python to
> perl thing before?

I've done some work with Inline::Python, even hacked on it a little.
You may need the Inline::C off of my server (or was that only with
Inline::CPP?)  But, if you're trying to replicate the basic
functionality in order to change it, you'll probably have better luck
just hand-translating (or writing in python.)

I try to avoid python proper.  There's just something odd about not
being able to shoot a good-sized hole through your foot.  It makes me
feel cramped or something.

--Eric
--
"It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are
in a hurry."