[Pdx-pm] Lisp class, L2 acquisition, Prolog, etc.

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Mon May 2 16:43:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:10:08PM -0700, Rafael Almeria wrote:
> >	IIRC there was a slashdot article about this where a yahoo employee
> >commented about how the lisp stuff was a total mess and they were in
> >the
> >process of rewriting it.
> When people complain about code being a "total mess" it's quite
> possibly a non-issue brought about by the fact that code is simply
> hard to read.

	This is true, and it's probably in part from my own paraphrasing.
The reason for switching over seems to be in dispute amongst the people
involved. Also if it were a mess that is not necessarily the language's fault.
	I also admit a personal bias: the lisp code I've seen involves such
an extreme use of parentheses it doesn't _look_ practical or maintainable to
my eyes.
	As far as functionality, I've done a fair bit of programming in RPN
which is a bit like Lisp but without the parentheses and backwards. Pretty
handy for some stuff, but I can't imagine using it like the swiss army
knife perl is. But then again, a swiss army knife isn't too handy when
you want a table saw ..