[Pdx-pm] Getopt::Modern

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 16 14:29:09 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Michael G Schwern
# on Wednesday 15 June 2005 05:05 pm:

>Getopt::Long::Fixed sorta sucks

Right.  I'm starting to think that Getopt::User might be the ticket,
particularly given all the <wink>scathing</wink> reactionary
programmer-y feedback that I'm getting on module-authors.

I've just finished Cooper's "The Inmates are Running the Asylum", so
that's partly what is hatching this module (that and "I want an API".)
Although I'm not using a user persona, I am trying to design the rules
from the user's point of view (assuming a non-apologist user, which of
course is hard to find among programmers.)

So, now I'm working on a user's guide and a whole slew of stuff to
convince others that this set of rules is the right way to do it.

  http://scratchcomputing.com/svn/Getopt-Modern/trunk/
    data/notes/why_order_matters.txt
    lib/Getopt/Modern/UserGuide.pod

Johan seemed like he would be interested in changing Getopt::Long, so
maybe we don't even need a name.

But hey, if I do go with Getopt::User, then Getopt::User::Guide becomes
a no-brainer for a place to put the user (not programmer)
documentation.  Thus, instead of explaining these rules in your own
manpage you just say "see L<Getopt::User::Guide> for details about how
to use options."

--Eric
--
"...the bourgeoisie were hated from both ends: by the proles, because
they had all the money, and by the intelligentsia, because of their