[Pdx-pm] Perl Testing book - layout

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 10:10:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:19:31AM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> The text does look well thought out.  However, it appears that for some
> overpaid-art-school-graduate-who-doesn't-care-about-readability-or-
> printing-cost reason, they decided to print this excellent text on
> top of a light blue grid

Seconded.  I would really prefer that style went away.

> Tangentally, is the current trend to print text in jarring, hard-to-read
> ways considered desirable by many under-30 folk?  Is this some sort of
> counter-reaction to improvements in printing and display technology?
> Or is it just to piss off people with vision problems?

There was a wonderful review of a recent D&D book, some sort of compilation
of various people's recolations of the last 30-odd years of D&D, where the
pages were deliberately set OFF CENTER and at angles and against horrible
full color backgrounds and generally rendered unreadable.  Sort of a
cautionary tale.

It was on Slashdot a few months back but their search is offline at the
moment.

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern at pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.