[Pdx-pm] Perl Testing book - layout

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 27 08:19:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:44:36AM +1000, Andrew Savige wrote:
> I've ordered the book for work but we haven't received it yet.
> I read the sample chapter and it's brilliant: really clear,
> easy to follow, and seemed 100% error-free (a rarity).
> Oh, and I love the "formula" way each section is laid out:

The text does look well thought out.  However, it appears that for some
printing-cost reason, they decided to print this excellent text on
top of a light blue grid, I guess because it looks like a "notebook".
I would get a headache trying to read it.  Does the online Safari
Bookshelf version look the same?  I could download it during OSCON,
and print it out without the graphcrud - then pay chromatic and Ian
and Tim the royalties.

Tangentally, is the current trend to print text in jarring, hard-to-read
ways considered desirable by many under-30 folk?  Is this some sort of
counter-reaction to improvements in printing and display technology?
Or is it just to piss off people with vision problems?

... and now, back to the discussion on Coffee vs. Tea .   The assumption
is that those stains are spilled beverage-of-choice, when they are
actually the debris caused by smashing a large bug with the bottom of
an empty mug.  So is an empty coffee mug better than an empty tea mug?