[Pdx-pm] Austin's $VERSION trick

David Wheeler david at kineticode.com
Fri Jul 15 14:22:43 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:30 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> Hello::World::Version can do this inside itself.
>   package Hello::World::Version;
>   delete $INC{"Hello/World/Version.pm"};
>   return 0.01;
> so that now "$VERSION = require Hello::World::Version" works as
> expected.

Will this force Perl to re-load Hello::World::Version from disk for
every module that requires it?

If so, why not add a method to it?

   package Hello::World::Version;
   sub ver { return '0.01' }

   our $Hello::World::VERSION = require Hello::World::Version &&

And either way, this won't fix those implementations (such as
search.cpan.org) that don't evaluate *any* perl code when searching
for the version number...