[Pdx-pm] OT? Java .Net C# unhyped info?

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Thu Jul 14 16:03:27 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:29:21PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> Some might say this is off-topic.  I'm trying to find honest
> introductory information about these overly hyped technologies that
> isn't on a Sun/MS billboard or in the context of "why these are
> stupid."
>
> Maybe my question is whether they are worth learning or how much is
> important to know.  I've seen a hacker or two say that the buffoon will
> shoot himself in the foot anyway, and have been turned-off by the
> buzzwords that are sprinkled throughout the introductory material on
> the other side.  So, it occurred to me that I may have never read any
> info that wasn't either hyping or dumping-on.
>
> Any references or thoughts from impartial observers?  (not that I expect
> a lot of them to be hanging out here, more a "surely you've heard of
> one or two" question.)

	I would never call myself impartial, but I would take the time
to familiarize yourself with at least one. If you lean more toward Unix
development, go the java route. If you want to use the Microsoft environment
go for .Net/C#.
	Which one is your next employer going to want you to be familiar
with?

	Language wise, Java and C# seem pretty similar to me. If you are
familiar with Python they shouldn't be that hard to learn. There's even
a Java implementation of Python.

	Austin