[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Sat Jul 2 15:08:26 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 7:11 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:05:00PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
>> It is much *easier* to scan through a distro saying, "looks good,
>> looks good, oops looks wrong better fix that", than it is to scan
>> through a distro saying "is anything missing, is anything missing, is
>> anything missing".
>>

> Humans might be able to eyeball "looks good" but try to teach a
> computer
> to figure that out.  You can't eyeball all of CPAN.

I'm talking about eyeballing my _own_ distro.  If I see "Module
Version Goes Here", I'll remember that I have to edit that text.  If
it's not there, there's a chance I'll forget to include a version
number.

It's easy to spot when something is blatantly wrong.
It's hard to spot when something is missing.

> Its much easier to
> teach a computer to recognize if something is missing than if
> something
> "looks good".  h2xs' ubiquity and uniformity just gives you a crib
> to give
> you one possible "looks bad" but you're not really checking to see if
> something is "good".

I doubt I'll ever use h2xs again, now that I've been introduced to
module-starter.  I could never remember the command line options to
prevent h2xs from thinking I wanted to link in a C library.

What would you like to see expunged from the module-starter-created
template?

The thing that seems vestigial to me, at least for pure Perl modules,
is the README file.  If dependencies and synopses can be found in the
POD, there isn't much point to duplicating that info in a README.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/