[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Fri Jul 1 17:40:52 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 04:10:05PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't writing modules, at least for CPAN, be a _little_ hard, or
>> more precisely, a little involved?
>
> No, why should it?

Because figuring out which modules are worth a damn is already time-
consuming, and making it easier for people to contribute
undocumented, untested crap makes it that much harder to pull the
signal out of the noise.

But maybe I can solve this s/n problem another way.  I'm close to
finishing a new version of Kinosearch.  Seems like time grows ripe to
build another CPAN search engine.  Maybe we can get to a happy place
where it's both easy to contribute and easy for prospective users to
assess the quality of the contribution.

>> As someone who takes documentation and QC seriously, I appreciate
>> having a template prepared for me that errs on the side of excess.
>
> This I don't understand.

I don't find it burdensome to delete a couple lines of "I'm too lazy
to write POD" POD, because I'm going to spend a *lot* more time
writing good POD to replace it than it takes to hit the 'd' key a
dozen times in vim.  I'm going to check the module and its associated
files over several times to make sure nothing's missing before I
publish.

The time that it takes me to clear out unnecessary template material
is inconsequential compared to the amount of time it takes me to do
the job right.  It is much harder to scan through a distro saying
"looks good, looks good, oops looks wrong better fix that", then it
is to scan through a distro saying "is anything missing, is anything
missing, is anything missing".

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/